Prep time: 3 hours Cooking time: 30 mins
- 60g akawi cheese, cut into large pieces 100g kunafa dough pastry 30g clarified butter (ghee), melted 1 tsp rose water 50ml sugar syrup
1. Place cheese in a water bath for around 3 hours to reduce the salt content. Remove cheese from water and crumble/chop it to a very fine consistency.
2. Place kunafa dough pastry in a large bowl and pull apart to separate the strands as much as possible. Pour melted ghee over and work it in thoroughly. In another bowl, mix together cheese and rose water.
3. Place cheese in an even layer in a deep oven tray. Cover it with dough and flatten it out gently with the palm of your hand. Bake kunafa for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 200°C until the dough turns golden in colour.
4. Remove from oven and immediately pour cold sugar syrup over the hot kunafa. Let it cool to room temperature, then invert on to a plate and serve.